Thursday, May 22, 2008

Muffin Melodrama

Mr. F. and I are fighting.

Mr. F. was quite wonderful this past weekend. On Saturday, I was really stressed about my car--Miss Mable dies if left unattended for mere hours. The constant paranoia about whether my car would start was really dragging me down, and Mr. F. could tell. Therefore, he loaned me his nice, new, reliable car for Sunday, and he said he would deal with Miss Mable’s unpredictability. This became even more endearing when I learned the next morning that Miss Mable refused to start for him, and he had to catch a ride to church for an early meeting starting at 7. Such wonderfulness needed acknowledgment obviously, so I made him my favorite muffins.

My peanut butter muffins are little packets of nutty joy. Their crumb is lovely and tender, and the peanut butter gives a person a much needed protein boost in the mornings. They are also easily transportable. Mr. F. starts work really early and often leaves home without the opportunity to eat breakfast. My thought was if he had muffins on hand, he could grab a couple as he raced out the door in the mornings. This too was after his comment that he needed something good to eat in the morning so he didn’t resort to the lure of the evil vending machine. So Sunday morning, I baked him 18 glorious peanut butter muffins which I hid in his car as a surprise. On finding them, Mr. F. spoke, as well as showed, the appropriate level of gratitude for such a gift. But then…….

He. Forgot. About. Them.

On Tuesday morning I received this email about a cake he had for breakfast:

“Yeah I should know better. It was "ok". The cake was a box yellow cake with vanilla frosting and strawberries on top. I think there was some pudding in the center or something. Some of the bites were pretty soft/gooey. I didn't have time for breakfast before I left the house so it averages out a little.”

Yeah, you read that right. He spurned my muffins for a boxed yellow cake with ghastly pudding inside. On Wednesday he spurned them for a chocolate covered twinkies. Today he admitted that he had completely forgotten about them. He had in his possession a bag of glorious nutty muffins for almost an entire week, and he hadn’t eaten a single one!

This travesty, spurning my muffins, overshadows everything nice and thoughtful that he may have previously done. The lesson here: you spurn my muffins; you spurn me. I am apparently not good enough for you. The aftermath: I will never cook for you again because we are obviously incompatible in our food preferences.

Mr. F. has been warned. The return of my affections will be redeemed only through much sweat, pleading, and tears on his part. Oh, and a developed, near worshipful, appreciation for my muffins.

But because I have no beef with you dear reader, and because you are here reading my blog, I will share with you the recipe for these nutty packets of pure joy.

Peanut Butter Muffins

1 3/4 C flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1/2 C brown sugar
2/3 C smooth peanut butter
1 1/4 C milk
5 T butter melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk egg, then whisk in brown sugar for about 2 minutes until thick and smooth. Whisk in peanut butter until smooth. Stir in milk, butter, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix. Spoon into muffin tins, filling to about 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes.



1 comment:

Misty said...

mmm....they sound delicious! And I know the feeling. It happened to me often enough that 8 years later I still have a hard time cooking for my husband.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...