Monday, December 31, 2007

Hardcore

I would by no means label myself an athlete. Yes, I run multiple times a week, and yes, I biked to work before the semester got crazy. However, I wouldn’t exactly identify these as enjoyable activities. I do not aspire to any great ambitions such as running a 3 hour marathon, nor do I aim for such minor heights as besting a personal record. No, I run and bike solely to keep myself from being permanently locked up in an insane asylum (it’s all about the mental stability)……..and so that I can eat pretty much what I want.

Yet (and perhaps here’s where the lunacy comes in), I find myself running and biking in extreme conditions to make me feel like I am a hardcore athlete--which I so am not. Take for example the other day when I biked to work on the coldest and windiest day of the year. It would have been faster to walk to work given the speed at which I was riding. And everyone, I mean everyone, was bundled up in their toasty little vehicles. However, it was exhilarating and ego-boosting to know that I, and I alone, was braving the elements in such a manner.

N gave the gift that keeps on giving this Christmas—a nasty head cold. So today, what do I do? Do I sleep in, rest, and drink lots of liquids so that I can regain some semblance of health? No. I decide that I must treat today like any other day and go running. After all, it is the holiday season, and I did my share of indulging. So, I went running. And the snot was flowing. In fact, I felt like I was drowning in it. So I did what any respectable runner would do…..resort to the old farmer’s blow. And now the streets are lined with my snot. Because there was a lot. So yes, I did feel like the hardcore athlete, running against all odds and irrespective of personal health. But I also feel like I was pretty stupid too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if it makes you feel better, I am still completely clogged. there are breif moments that I think "oh...this is finally dissipating," and then it come back with vengance. I think I may have a sinus infection grrrr.... maybe I need to actually find myself a physician in P----
however....more importantly I think running (and excessive farmer blowing) does a lovely job of clearing things out for a bit. so I would actually recommend breif periods of excertion, heavy breathing etc till the passages start to clear.

sorry for the overenthusiastic gift.

n

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...