Monday, December 3, 2007

Feather Dreams

The temperature has turned chilly, and I bury myself under mounds of blankets in an attempt to keep warm. Think of a princess test. Except instead of being the princess sleeping on top of a bunch of mattresses, I am the pea, squashed under the weight of every blanket I can find. I am pretty confident that in such fairytales the princesses kept warm under fluffy comforters of goose down. Is it wrong for me, as a squashed pea, to want, yeah, even covet such light, fluffy, warm comfort? I don’t think so.

Therefore, tis’ the season for me to eye each migrating goose and each waddling duck as potential sources of warmth. For their lives to be sacrificed and their down plucked to aid in my comfort seems to me a noble cause. I will think fondly of them as I don my down vest, fluffy down gloves, snuggle under down comforters, and sleep on down pillows. That is, if I had any of those things….which I unfortunately don’t. *Sigh*

Which brings up another subject: is down all that much better than fur? We have all heard of anti-fur activists throwing red paint on fur coats and waving signs stating “fur is dead” in protest. But have you ever heard of anyone protesting against down? E.g. down coat slashings, protests during JC Penny’s white sale? I haven’t. Yet, down is dead too. Are birds somehow more expendable? Is it because they aren’t cute and cuddly in their alive furriness and haven’t been glamorized and anthropomorphized in Disney cartoons? Is it because down is cheaper and less of a status symbol? Any thoughts?

Whatever the case may be, I am glad. Because now I don't have to feel politically incorrect while I lust after a down comforter and vest like I would if I were to covet a shuba (the Russian term for a fur coat), although some (Dr. C?) might argue the point.

2 comments:

stopping to smell lilacs said...

Not to say that I have anything filled with down, but you don't _necessarily_ have to kill the bird to get the feathers from it ...

rittie said...

Have you ever been around geese? They deserve all that they suffer seing how they try to peck at you every chance they get. Perhaps its because they know that humans only tolerate them for their feathers. M was pecked in the behind by one and has since referred to them as naughty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...