Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ding Dong!

Ding Dong! The Fish are dead.
Which old fish? The Wicked Fish!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Fish are dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Fish are dead.
They’ve gone where the goblins go,
Below - below - below.
Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know The Wicked Fish are dead!
Yup, I took the last set of fish out of the respirometer yesterday (and no, I did not kill them in the respirometer as I have 4 times previously, ahem). Then I fairy dusted them with MS-222 and watched as they lost their equilibrium, floated passively to the surface, and drew their last breath.

They died for a noble cause: greater scientific understanding of nursery habitat suitability in variable estuarine environments. Their posterity will hail them as heroic martyrs who sacrificed their lives so that those who followed might live more fully. And now for a moment of silence as we mourn their loss and reflect on the meaning of their lives…….

“Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.” Hooray! I see the light! I have been liberated from fish servitude and now must rejoice in my freedom!

1 comment:

yola said...

I paused for a moment of silence just then.

Then I let rip a roaring hooray for you! Congrats on being free once again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...