Thursday, November 29, 2007

Evil Cravings

My appetite, which disappeared for about a month, has come back with a vengeance. At four o’clock today, I was craving food, and not just any food—chips. Chips were not allowed in our household growing up. We had potato chips twice a year: New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July. Doritos could be found in our house only on the rare occasions when mom made her taco casserole. The doctrine in our house concerning chips: they are essentially evil and should be avoided at all costs. Did that stop me from eating them? On the contrary, I would embarrass myself by downing entire bagfuls at friends’ houses while watching Crocodile Dundee. That’s the problem; I have very little control over my chip eating behavior. Hence, I have learned to embrace my family doctrine. I just do. not. buy.

So, today. The evil demon inside of me was craving chips. I tried to sooth it by insisting that it was just hungry and that waiting at home was some lovely lentil barley stew with carrots, celery, and spinach. Yumm. Was the evil demon appeased? No. It roared even more loudly. “I don’t want any of your stinkin’ stew! I want fat. Lots and lots of fat. And salt. Must have salt and fat!” So I succumbed. I know. I am weak. And that isn’t the worst of it. I didn’t buy just one bag of chips to ease the craving, oh no, I had to buy two. *hides in shame.* (A lovely pico de gallo corn chip and the Terra exotic vegetable chips. Because even though I did break down, I did it in style.) I couldn’t even wait until I drove home. No, I ripped both of those suckers open in the parking lot and had at them.

Right afterwards I engaged in my yoga practice for the day. I felt severely compromised. There I sat practicing, listening to the woman talk about how I should rejoice in my healthy body that I was purging of toxins, when not just 15 minutes before I had crammed my face full of them. What a hypocrite.

Yet, now the demon is happy.

3 comments:

yola said...

When I was a child my mother could not get me to eat ANYTHING. They were afraid I would starve, so they let me eat Doritos (yah, I know, what parents have I?). And that's all I ate for a period of like 2 years. Cool Ranch. Somewhere in there I because a less picky eater, and eventually even started to eat semi-healthily, thanks to you and Dr. C. Of course since being away from both of your good influences, I've slid back into the dark hole that is eating processed foods on a regular basis, including yesterday's dinner stand-in: a minibag of Nacho Cheese Doritos.

Emily said...

I love it that you craved chips! And if I must say you still went for a very healthy chip choice. I would have totally gone for "Nacho Cheese" Doritos. (I see I share something with the above "Yola".) I loved your description of ripping them open in the car, b/c I can totally relate & I've even opened them in the store while shopping. Shameless!

Retail Worker #48721093 said...

Just wait until you buy a tiramisu with the intent to take it to a social gathering...and then you don't. And it becomes breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next few days. That was a good week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...