Monday, October 29, 2007

"Oh, What Fools These Mortals Be!"

I saw A Midsummer’s Night Dream this weekend. It has been ages since I have seen a play, especially a Shakespeare play. The last one was Cymbaline. I remember waxing rhapsodic about the cowboys. (Yes, there were cowboys as well as Chinese emperors.) I have no idea where this cowboy fetish comes from, but there you have it.

Anyway……the play was great. The local liberal arts college produced it, and while there were rough patches, the talent impressed me--a number of the actors possessed real comedic timing. The costumes were a real mix: the duke and duchess were dressed new-agey with sparkly boots, the two couples were dressed in late 18th century garb, and the faries were in 80’s punk—Puck sporting a bright pink mohawk. (Sweet!) Somehow though, it worked.

My favorite character would have to be Helena—the woman scorned.

Demetrius: For I am sick when I do look on thee.
Helena: And I am sick when I look not on you.

However, I am not sure I like how she only gets the man after Demetrius has been enchanted. That seems like cheating. I want Demetrius to realize what an idiot he has been on his own accord and then come grovelling to Helena, begging for forgiveness. Is that too much to ask?

In any case, good times where had by all. A shout out of thanks to Mr. F [“If she tells you aught of the famous 'Mr F', Lucy, you are to pass it on.”] for the idea (if Mr. F even reads this, which remains a matter of speculation.)


If we shadows have offended
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear

2 comments:

yola said...

That sounds like a fun production. Did I tell you I saw some Shakespeare last week too? We saw Twelfe Night at the Rep...it was okay. Kind of edgy in a way, including one guy dressed kind of tranny-Goth like, and Olivia in this gigantic aubergine ballgown that just made you go, wow. They had this hardwood floor that came up like a wave and at one point one character ran on stage and totally biffed it. I think I enjoyed Cymbaline much more--cowboys or gangsters and Shakespeare make for a good combination. :)

"F indeed! A very promising letter. Let me--F, F, Fo, Fa... Upon my word, but I cannot think of a single name beginning with F"

Anonymous said...

the show is beautiful! our school just put it on. however, the point of Demetrius only falling in love after being enchanted was that the faeries are just toying with the mortals and the hilarity they find in it. no matter how dumb the mortals are being

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...