Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Playing Catch Up

It has been a whole week since I last posted, something I despise as a blog reader. The reason for my non-posting is not for a lack of anything to say, but rather an all-consuming preoccupation with project logistics. I have a love/hate relationship with logistics. I need to know how ever little detail fits together but I abhor the process of thinking it through. So, I have these little anxiety attacks every twenty minutes followed by moments of avoidance/pretending non-existence of the problem. This cycle is repeated until I feel confident that I am mentally and physically prepared--a process which can take days. As you can tell, I am not really a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of girl.

However, the overlying pattern of my life stays constant day in and day out. I sleep, I eat and I read.

Books

Summers at Castle Auburn: This is a really good book. I started this on the fourth and had to finish it the same day. Fireworks were going off, parties were swinging, but I could not tear myself away. It had all the necessary criterion for a good read: overall good story line, well developed characters, likeable characters (a strong female lead character…always a plus), some fantastical elements but not enough to distract, and of course, romance. It is by Sharon Shinn, an author I have mentioned before. Her work tends to span a couple of different genres. I will have to explore her more of her novels.

The Truth About Forever: This falls into the category of your typical young adult novel. Young girl suffers a loss, tries to be perfect, hooks up and subsequently gets dumped by her perfect/anal boyfriend, meets a group of fun-loving, crazy, and disorganized group of people, learns to love life again, gets a much cooler, hipper boyfriend. Yet as trite as the plot sounds, the writing is honest and the novel enjoyable.

Food

Beef sate’ with peanut dipping sauce: This is really easy (3 minute broil on both sides) and very good. The peanut dipping sauce is divine. I just wanted to smother it on everything. I used the leftover coconut milk to make coconut rice. Yumm.

Black bean-quinoa salad with basil-lemon dressing: With the temperatures close to the 100’s and the added joy of humidity, I have been scoping out the dinner salad scene. This salad fits the bill by keeping me cool while filling me up. I opted to nix the tofu (surprise, surprise) and replaced the lima beans with edamame.

Sour cream-orange coffee cake with chocolate-pecan streusel: I made this for my office mate’s 30th birthday. The man is a coffee fiend so it isn’t surprising that his cake of choice is a vehicle for drinking even more coffee. I felt compelled to find something a bit more decadent than your traditional coffee cake since it was for a special occasion. Of course, like my sisters, I am a sucker for anything citrus so this recipe cried out to be made. The result is a cake that is very rich and very good. I loved the orange and the sour cream. However, if I were to make it again, I would either decrease the chocolate and/or streusel or delete it all. It was a touch too sweet for my tastes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...