Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sharon Shinn Trilogy

I just finished this trilogy by Sharon Shinn, an author previously unknown to me. I rather enjoyed the books. I thought the second and the third book (The Truth-Teller’s Tale, The Dream-Maker’s Magic) more interesting than the first (The Safe-Keeper’s Secret). Perhaps this is because more time was devoted to the characters rather than the development of place, time, practices etc that took up much of the first. And while the first book is helpful to read for background, the books can pretty much stand by themselves. I was a bit disappointed in the ending of the third book….it seemed a bit contrived and rushed, but for the most part, they were all well written and engaging. Enough so that I will go check out other books by this rather prolific author.

The books fall in the category of fantasy and are set that mythical unknown, but well used time period resembling early Norman England. The writing style reminded me briefly of Robin McKinley’s Beauty or Spindle's End but without the obvious fairy tale re-telling. Overall, very enjoyable, quick reads. I would highly recommend adding them to your summer reading list.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...