Friday, June 22, 2007

My very cool and exciting life


Unlike some bloggers, I am not a librarian. (Well, not yet anyway. We will see what I actually end up doing.) Yet, from reading my blog, you might be mistaken in my actual chosen profession. Librarian, Baker, or even lowly Administrative Assistant who hates her job and must find fulfillment elsewhere would be more likely candidates given my blog content. In actuality, I have the job that half the fifth graders in the country dream of, that of a marine biologist. And while I do not swim with whales or dolphins, I do get to live by the water, go out regularly on a boat, and see some pretty cool critters. I also get to sun bathe on riprap while ostensibly taking data, as I did yesterday.

We have a weekly seine that we pull in front of our now condemned research pier (to see what that actually looks like, check out my flickr pictures). Our usual suspects include spot, Atlantic silversides, bay anchovy, blue crab etc. But yesterday we also added a striped sea robin, striped bass, a rather large needlefish, a pipefish, and two juvenile horseshoe crabs to the mix. All in all, a pretty good haul, and not a bad way to spend a couple of hours on a Thursday afternoon.

For those of you not up to date on your Chesapeake fishes, from top to bottom: horseshoe crab, blue crab, sea robin, needlefish, Atlantic silverside, striped bass, and spot.

2 comments:

Lin said...

yeah...your job is definitely cooler than mine.

yola said...

Ooh, did you get a camera? It's fun seeing pictures of your neck of the woods.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...