Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Jungle Fever


It's Hot!

It's hot!
I can't get cool,
I've drunk a quart of lemonade,
I think I'll take my shoes off
And sit around in the shade.
It's hot!
My back is sticky,
The sweat rolls down my chin.
I think I'll take my clothes off
And sit around in my skin.
It's hot!
I've tried with 'lectric fans,
And pools and ice cream cones.
I think I'll take my skin off
And sit around in my bones.
It's still hot!

by Shel Silverstein

So, yeah, if you didn’t know…..it is blazin’ hot here in the Mid-Atlantic. My room, located in the loft, has been radiating an alarming amount of heat lately—similar to the freakin’ Sahara. I could feel heat radiating from the carpet even. Any day now, the internal temperature of my room will reach the point of combustion and then…...BOOM! That will be the end of that. I have taken drastic steps in reducing the amount of layers on me at night. I used to not be able to sleep with out the weight of a blanket---even a sheet wasn’t heavy enough. Not any more! As for the rest…..I am maintaining decency…..but barely. Today I was reminded of this poem as the thought came to me on how nice it would be to just walk around in your bones. There is nothing indecent about just bones. Granted you would be dead but…….

And the humidity! I felt like I was running in the Jungle this morning--my sweat just pooling on my skin because the air was too saturated for it to evaporate. In fact, in an effort to distance myself from the unpleasantness of the experience, I tried to imagine that I was running in someplace really exotic like Costa Rica. That lasted all of five minutes before reality set in--the scenery just not giving the right tropical rainforest vibes.

It is days like today that I long to live in Northern Canada. They dry coldness of the frozen tundra. Bring it on!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...