Monday, May 7, 2007

Life Lessons


I watch North and South last night. Sigh. It reminded me of this list I sent to Yola and my sisters but should probably post here as well. The life lessons learned from washing North and South:

Sometimes a simple handshake can be as thrilling as an embrace
Stew is a much underrated dish
Whenever your trains stops at a station - get off - just in case!
You don't always need Henry to explain
Fruit is not a suitable topic for small talk
You have to look hard to find roses in the hedgerow.
Telling someone you wish to marry them because you love them is more effective when you're not shouting and chasing them round a table.
Never ask your mother and sister to visit new neighbors.
Bracelets are a handy item to attract a person you're probably determined to dislike.

Beware of being in the presence of handsome men who remove their cravats ...your life will never be the same again.
Never stand in front of an angry mob. You are likely to have a ruddy big rock thrown at you which lands squarely on your temple.
If you really want a man to cool his ardor, accepting his invitation to dinner and turning up in a tight green frock showing all your charms to advantage isn't the right way to go about it.
Plaid trousers are never a good idea. Under any circumstances.
Don’t necessarily rule out grown men who live with their mothers
It is generally unwise to goad a gentleman with the words, "Act like a man."
Always Look Back



I will also say that there is something very romantic about train stations. They seem to represent romantic crossroads: scenes of momentous romantic decisions…... the person will either leave your life forever, or choose life with you. I can name three movies right off hand which uses this ploy: North and South, Love in the Afternoon, and Funny Face. And not all of them are happy romantic decisions….such as the train scene in Casablanca where Bergman stands Bogart up, never to be seen again until that fateful day when she walks into his joint, “Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.” Whatever the reason, whatever the symbolism, it works. I love them. And North and South’s train scene is up there as one of the most romantic scenes of all time.

3 comments:

yola said...

Your list continues to crack me up, especially the "you don't always need Henry to explain." I think I'm making that my new tagline. It's sheer genius.

And I absolutely agree about those train scenes. It's the magic of the steam, the departure of the train, the farewell wave. I can't believe you didn't mention Anne and Gilbert's train scene here either. Though in their case, I guess it wasn't a choice made there and then, but certainly a beginning for Anne. And then of course there's Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland in the Major and the Minor: "Susu Applegate? Mrs. Applegate?" "Miss Susan Kathleen Applegate. You see there are a lot of Applegates in Stevenson." Oh and you will adore the train scene in Miss Potter. Delightful!

Lady Susan said...

Gasp! I can't believe that I forgot the Anne and Gilbert scene. Obviously, I must resolve this rustiness by watching them again. ;)

Oh, yes....the major and the minor. Su-Su Applegate! Su-Su Applegate! I wish I could get my hands on a copy of that!

And yes, I need to see Miss Potter now that it is on DVD. Delightful!

Krilafis said...

I was mortified that you forgot Anne and Gilbert. I love the movies and love the books all the more. I read them over and over again.

"'Have you any unfulfilled dreams, Anne?' asked Gilbert. Something in his tone--something she had not heard since that miserable evening in the orchard at Patty's Place--made Anne's heart beat wildly. But she made answer lightly. 'Of course. Everybody has. It wouldn't do for us to have all our dreams fulfilled. We would be as good as dead if we had nothing left to dream about.'"

"March came in that winter like the meekest and mildest of lambs, bringing days that were crisp and golden tingling, each followed by a frosty pink twilight which gradually lost itself in an elfland of moonshine."

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...