Monday, February 19, 2007

"To sleep, perchance to dream-ay, there's the rub."

When people learn that I need eight hours of sleep every night they either think that I am 1) a sleep addict 2) idealistic, or 3) a sleep nerd (everyone knows that cool people stay up late and need minimal amounts of sleep). But due to the fragility of my psychological stability which cracks and fissures with minimal disturbance (lack of food, sleep and exercise), I have taken these criticisms in stride. Case in point: a dearth of sleep occurred this weekend. Friday and Saturday nights racked up a whopping 9-10 hours of sleep compared to my required 16 (my own fault entirely). Had I not been required to tax myself with any sort of activity and thought, I might have survived unscathed. As it was however, I had to teach a Sunday school lesson—a lesson that I prepared a half an hour prior to the start of church. I dare suggest that had it been a normal Sunday with my normal class, the worst that might have occurred would have been a slight showing of emotion towards the end of the lesson. Unfortunately I was landed (Marooned? Stranded? Consigned to misery?) with a whopping 20+ teenagers between the ages of 14 and 18—mostly boys. Between the inappropriate comments from the two 17 year old boys up front and the snickering/poking/snorting from the 4 to 5 14 year old boys in the back row my composure plummeted at an alarming rate. By the end of the lesson, I was a ranting, raving, complete and utter madwoman, of no use to anyone but the authorities in bedlam. Perhaps I exaggerate. But I must have presented a pretty depressing/sobering/pathetic picture because the students (or at least one student) were spurred into action to relate the incident to the bishopric and Sunday school president. The poor kids (meaning my normal group, not the monsters that joined last Sunday). I must really put them through the ringer. It is not easy to see a person completely loose it, and it seems like they have to see it more often than not. Therefore, in an act of charity to alleviate the pain inflicted on others and upon myself, I will continue to maintain a strict sleep regime…..criticisms be d**ned.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...