Monday, January 22, 2007

In which Lady Susan avoids work

Because I am currently un-capable of doing actual work--my mind imitating a contortionist, bending and swerving when I try to steer it towards any one direction, I am instead going to share with you a series of quotes I came across at one of my favorite websites, the Republic of Pemberley (ROP).

One particular thread dealt with favorite lines from novels. I have included my favorite from the list:

"Genius is of small use to a woman who does not know how to do her hair."
Edith Wharton

"Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those who we cannot resemble."
Samuel Johnson

"Elinor agreed to all, because she did not believe he deserved the compliment of rational opposition."
Jane Austen

“It is not a novel to be thrown aside lightly. It should be thrown aside with great force.”
Dorthy Parker

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
JRR Tolkien

And my personal favorite:

“He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad.”
Raphael Sabatini, Scaramouche

Any favorite quotes out there?

1 comment:

yola said...

"The best thing to do with a bad smell is to get rid of it."
Muggles, Maxims

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...